Monday, September 13, 2010

job frenzy. the UGLY

I know this is old news now, but still somewhat new to me - this is ugly:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/06/ethan-haines-unemployed-l_n_673490.html

I mean, yes, I understand your frustration, understand your disillusionment with the whole law school process, which we expected would be sufficient to guarantee a high-paid job, at least high enough to start paying off those loans, understand your desire to want to make a public statement of outrage. Hunger strike though? A method relied upon by waify little monks protesting human rights violations, and you draw upon their techniques to protest your inability to land a big-firm job? A little self-indulgent.

More ugliness: friends turn-coating on friends. One classmate is apparently expressing his disbelief that his besty landed a summer associate spot at Cravath, when he had been sharing his notes with this friend all year, and how is it possible that he wasn't chosen and his friend was? There's something called being a graceful loser - I though we were supposed to learn this on the soccer field in elementary school, after a big loss, when as much as we wanted to spit in our hand and moosh it in our opponents' faces, we were forced to stay in the line, and shake the hand of each and every player, and force a grin. Maybe the country club allows you to stomp off without shaking any hands, and defame the other guy or gal...

To be fair, the "winners" haven't been much more gracious either. Like really, do you need to announce on facebook the airports you're passing through on callbacks, and the moment you accept a position from NYElite firm? Do you really need to complain about how this is so stressful, having to miss classes to be dined by prospective employers, while at the same time struggling to choose which employer deserves 10 of your precious summer weeks? Go blow it.

And this is the last ugly part: me, wanting to plug my ears while I reassess the direction I want to go in my life, and reevaluate why I want a firm job, and if it's merely a matter of getting caught in the waves of law school. I did NOT want to do that when I arrived here, so when did it become the most important thing in my life? Is it envy that's causing me to step away from my classmates and witness the events that are unrolling like a greek tragedy?? Or is there something truly disturbing to my core values when I see people suddenly start warming up to classmates with whom they hardly spoke last year, only after discovering that that person made law review, or just accepted an offer from Davis Polk....

It's ugly. It's a bloodbath that is revealing the worst in some of my classmates.

No comments:

Post a Comment